Hi, and welcome to my page where I cover the gadgets I make and sell.  

Updates and random info below.

2019-05-03 You have to go through checkout to get shipping price, I know it sucks.  Batch shipping is 60 NOK, FedEx priority depends on destination but is generally less than 200 NOK.

2019-05-29 Just found out the FedEx option has not been available for some time.  If you don't get the option of International Priority, there may be some issues with your shipping address.  Make sure your phone number is digits only.

New upscaler prototype

Making an upscaler is not for the easily discouraged, that's for sure.  This is rev 1.3, the 4th revision of the upscaler.

Most notably for users is that input and output is clearly labeled on the PCB, as I found myself plugging input video to the output connector and vice versa.If it's confusing to me that actually makes the thing, I'm sure it would be confusing for others too.

Most of the changes has to do with making it feasible to have it manufactured - I've changed the size of some components, improved the power delivery part and managed to re-arrange things so all components fit on the top side of the PCB, which should bring production cost down a bit.  It's still in development, but hopefully (famous last words) - the hardware part is pretty much done. 


Bigger Faster Better!

The old JVS-PAC works well (I think), but is not easy to maintain or expand.  Running at 48MHz, it had a whopping 2048 bytes of memory and 32KB of flash, all of which encompasses the firmware update software, JVS stack, USB stack and the actual firmware itself.  The limited memory was particularly a challenge and some 'tricks' had to be used.

The new JVS-PAC, I think it will be called JVS-PAC2, has the features of a small computer with 256KB of flash, 64KB ram and running at twice the speed of the original.  This means that the software can be written in a 'normal' way.

For normal use, this won’t mean a whole lot as the JVS-PAC is made to do its job and stay out the way during gaming.  However – when setting things up and troubleshooting, it will make things a lot easier.

The new JVS-PAC will feature an OLED screen that can display stuff like status of the IO board, if the buttons in your cab is working etc.  

Firmware updates will also be a little simpler, as it will use a micro-sd card – no more special windows drives to do an update.

As for bigger, the board will be a tad bigger to fit the OLED screen and miro-sd slot, but not by a whole lot.

Prototype PCB’s for the new version should be here early May, and if things work the way I hope I will plan for a production run shortly after.


First Iteration of the JVS-PAC 2

This is the first iteration of the JVS-PAC 2, picture is from September 2017 with the old JVS-PAC for size comparison.  It's basically the same product, but with more modern parts. 

It's working fine, but I'm not entirely happy with it.  Firmware updates are user unfriendly, and it doesn't address some of the short-comings of the first version in a good way.  So - I'm ditching this first iteration, and continue working another iteration that is a bit more exciting.  Stay tuned :)